Using Azure Dev Fabric with WordPress

Nov 26, 2011 at 10:20 AM

Hey guys,

I have made a clean installation of Windows with latest VS 2010 Sp1, Azure SDK 1.6 and PHPAzure 4.05.

One thing I realized, its best installing PHP from Web installer 3.0 (http://php.iis.net/) that way all the manual steps and configuration are taken care for you and it gets integrated with IIS perfectly.  

Now going back to Interop-Windows-Azure PHP scaffolders:

When running the standard (non-multisite) wordpress 3.2.1 and run the package in dev mode:

package create -in="%PWD%\build\WordPress" -out="%PWD%\build" -dev=true

It all works fine, but once the browser opens to show the site, I get this message instead on the web browser:

The irony is this what Azure has created for me and I have no weird settings (default, fresh installation)
Maybe its because of this errror though: Deployment role instances not in "Started" state after 30 seconds. 

Packaging project

Windows(R) Azure(TM) Packaging Tool version 1.6.0.0
for Microsoft(R) .NET Framework 3.5
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Windows(R) Azure(TM) Desktop Execution Tool version 1.6.0.0

Starting the storage emulator...
Starting the compute emulator...

Using session id 1

Using session id 1
Warning : Remapping public port 80 to 81 to avoid conflict during emulation.
Warning : Remapping private port 80 to 82 in role 'WebRole' to avoid conflict during emulation.
Created: deployment16(0)
Deployment role instances not in "Started" state after 30 seconds.
Exported interface at http://127.0.0.1:81/.C:\Project\VC\WordPress\build/WordPress.cspkg

Any ideas?

Many Thanks.

Houman

Editor
Nov 26, 2011 at 8:11 PM

Houman,

This is an issue from the WordPress side of things. WordPress multisite only works on port 80. I looked around to see if that behavior can be altered and I could not find any solution. For now I think the best thing to do is build WordPress multisite in your local IIS and then use the source from that in your package.

Ben

Nov 27, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Ben,

Thanks for clarifying. I think you meant WordPress singlesite only works on port 80. It makes sense now.

Many Thanks,

Houman

Editor
Nov 27, 2011 at 3:27 PM

Houman,

The screenshot you posted says "Multisite" in it. I think single site will work on multiple ports but don't quote me on that.

Ben

Nov 28, 2011 at 6:34 AM

Ben,

Yeah you are right. However I simply have taken the default download version

$file = $this->curlFile("http://wordpress.org/wordpress-3.2.1.zip", $tmp);

I thought that one is the single version, am I wrong? I checked wordpress.org and it seems since version 3.0 all versions are capable of doing both single and multisite. 

If thats true the running it in local dev fabric would never be possible. But its not a bis issue, as receiving this error message alone indicates that the packaging was successful.

Thanks,

Houman