Admin Cannot Add New Posts -- Submit For Review

Apr 4, 2012 at 7:13 PM
Edited Apr 5, 2012 at 1:54 PM

I installed php on azure a few days ago. Everything seemed to be fine, but I only have one post and now when I try to make another one I get the Submit for Review button in the Publish widget. When I click this or the Save Draft button I get:

Are you sure you want to do this?

Please try again.

Or if I click the Preview button I get:

You are not allowed to edit this post.

I'm not that familiar with wordpress or php, but the IIS logs look OK to me. Also, I can create and delete new users and update the single post I have. I'm only using a few MB's of the database. I was able to add new media, which wrote a record to the wp_posts table. Does anybody know what else I should look at? I'm not even sure what error logs might contain some clues, since I don't know much about the wordpress/php stuff.

I was checking this issue on other blogs and it turns out this is a fairly common problem. I've done a few in-place upgrades over my site and this issue seemed to happen after I upgraded. According to most of the questions in this topic, it seems to be a database issue. Most of the potential fixes will not work on Azure (not MySQL, no DBCC call available). Has anybody else encountered this, and how did you work around it? I suppose I can just create a staging site every time I do an upgrade, then do a VIP swap, but that won't fix a database issue.

http://wordpress.org/tags/submit-for-review

Editor
Apr 5, 2012 at 10:46 PM

I have never seen this issue in WordPress before, but it sounds incredibly annoying and frustrating. You already tried the SQL script solution listed on the first post of that link?

Apr 18, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Just to let you know that I encountered the exact same problem. I tried all solutions suggested at the link above with no results (i.e. remove plugins and themes, new admin user, auto increment property, capabilities of users, etc). Finally, the only way forward was to export the data, drop the db, recreate it and import the data back.

I seem to remember that the problem appeared when I started a second web role instance, but it may be just a coincidence.

Editor
Apr 19, 2012 at 4:03 PM

And the issue has not come back up?

Apr 19, 2012 at 5:17 PM

That's good to know. I just deleted the entire db server and recreated it. This particular issue hasn't come up again for me.

Apr 19, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Currently, I have a single instance in staging deployment and another one in production deployment. Both connect to the same SQL Azure database. Everything seems to be working normally. I think I want to enjoy this feeling for a couple of days (and check if some other problem will come up) and then I'll start a second instance and see what happens.

Sep 19, 2013 at 12:46 PM
alearg wrote:
Just to let you know that I encountered the exact same problem. I tried all solutions suggested at the link above with no results (i.e. remove plugins and themes, new admin user, auto increment property, capabilities of users, etc). Finally, the only way forward was to export the data, drop the db, recreate it and import the data back. I seem to remember that the problem appeared when I started a second web role instance, but it may be just a coincidence.
Hi,
I encountered the same problem and tried some of the things you mentioned.
I'm not very familiar with MySQL. Can you tell me how to (safely) "export the data, drop the db, recreate it and import the data back"?
Thanks in advance,
Tom...